“Having a ton of clients is not always what everyone really wants to go for anymore. You can build a really strong agency with just a handful of clients.”
– Brice Gump
Jarod Spiewak is a talented SEO agency owner with a mountain of insight on how he runs and hires for his agency. This episode is great for anyone interested in understanding the mind of an agency owner.
His interest in writing led him to discover Search Engine Optimization (SEO). All of his clients were looking for SEO prioritized content and eventually he was tasked with writing an article on how to do SEO.
That led to a revelation that he could take on clients of his own and that is when he decided to build Blue Dog Media.
In this interview, Jarod goes deep on his hiring process with us – what does he look for, how does he filter for good prospects, where is he looking, etc. He also takes us through the hilarious yet tragic story of investing in an expensive downtown office when it wasn’t necessary.
Check out the show notes below to follow along.
- Beginnings of Blue Dog Media (1:56)
- Transition from working hourly for someone else to running own business (5:30)
- Transition to staffing for your own agency (10:03)
- What does business look like today? (14:47)
- Training – what’s needed to get started and how do you develop your staff? (20:37)
- Hiring process – what level of education is required? (24:24)
- Office vs. Remote / Personal Work Style (30:27)
CONNECT WITH JAROD
PEOPLE / RESOURCES MENTIONED
- Profit First
- Interview with Mike Michalowicz
- Simon Sinek
- Pitch Anything
LET’S CONNECT ONLINE!
- Join The Building It Online Community
- Brice Gump – Major Impact Media, Connect with Brice on Facebook
- Mike Sebastian – Outside ROI, Connect with Mike on Facebook
If you enjoy the show, please leave a review on Apple Podcasts to share the love!